If you would like to place an obituary in the Saint Paul Pioneer Press or the Minneapolis Star Tribune just click on the links below and an Obituary Guide for that newspaper will open in another window. These guides provide the information you will need to place the obituary.
A few things of note concerning obituaries:
• Obituary is from the Latin obit, meaning death. The word obituary has been used to refer to published death notices since the 18th century.
• Obituaries in the local newspapers are Paid Classified Advertisements.
• The cost of obituaries adds up very quickly and that is why obituaries are written in a certain format.
Basically the format for obituaries is as follows:
1.) Identifying the deceased to the community.
• Last name, first name
• Age, city of residence, date of death
• Those family members that have “Preceded in death”
• Survivors (and spouses)
2.) Providing the information for the memorial gatherings.
• Service and Burial
• Any “Memorials preferred” information
How to place an obituary with the Minneapolis Star Tribune
All the information needed is explained below. Click on the image for a printable PDF file.
How to place an obituary in the Saint Paul Pioneer Press
All the information needed is explained here. Click on the image for a printable PDF file.